Friday, January 06, 2006

The Weekly Grind - 1/6

A buddy of mine once argued with me for a good five to seven minutes about whether or not weekly grinding could actually happen. He pointed out the difficulty in keeping the same mentality going week in, week out. I told him to check the blog. He did, and conceded that it could, and does happen here.

Quick point about my top 10 Party Games list. It was clearly labeled "party" games not "drinking games". So to compare my list to the aptly titled "Top 10 College Drinking Games Part I" would be unfair. Its like comparing apples to drunk apples.

Thirdly, due to the influx of emails coming in, I will be unable to answer any of them in this week's column. Simply because a) I don't want to leave anyone out and b) there were no emails and I was lying about the influx.

Since this is the first week of the NFL Playoffs, I will bust my figurative load on analraping each of the wild-card matchups. I am also considering starting up the EA vs Bookies column only to curb my sports betting itch that has been getting stronger and stronger each week.

Tampa Bay vs Washington
"This game is going to be real fun to watch and should be high scoring leading to excitement and quality TV" -EA, with all the implied sarcasm he could muster.

That was a quote from me that I told someone at work just now when they asked why I was not processing files but typing a column about Tampa playing Washington. Seriously though, with the no. 1 ranked D going against another top 10 defense, this should be a defensive battle i.e. boring 13-9 start to the weekend. OR it could be high scoring...what the hell do I know. My guess is that Tampa gets run over by Portis and Cooley grabs a couple touchdowns as the Skins (+2.5) win 24-14.

Editors Note: EA was right on the mark as the Redskins covered 17-10
New England v Jacksonville
Brady is undefeated in the playoffs his whole career. Plus he is undefeated in every single game when the Patriots have more points than the opposing team when the final whistle blows. Think about that for a while.

Everyone is writing off Jacksonsville's chances for an upset. Hence, so am I. Davey Gerrard or Leftwich will not be able to do much against the Pats D. Thus, the 7.5 point favorite should have no problem covering in a blow-out. NE 33 - 10 Jax.


Editors Note: EA was right on the mark again with NE winning by 25....28-3

New York Giants v Carolina
The winner of this game , under my predicted scenario, will play the Bears of Chicago next week and ultimately lose. So it really doesn't matter who comes out on top because neither team has a shot. But, if I had my druthers, the Giants would take this one down. Yes Carolina has already lost to Chicago in Soldier Field but I am more scared of Dellhomme, Foster/Davis, and Steven Smith than Tiki and the rest. It should be an entertaining game with both teams putting up good numbers. I would feel comfortable taking the Giants giving 2.5 points. NYG 28, Carolina 24


Cincinatti v Pittsburgh
Its kind of funny how Cincy is a 1.5 point underdog at home in the playoffs. Its also funny how they let the Bills put up 37 points and win by 10 a couple weeks ago at home. A lot of funny things have been happening lately with the Bengals.

Pittsburgh reminds me of my '06 Fantasy football team which went 4-10 but then rattled off two straight solid weeks giving me the $100 cash prize and Toilet Bowl trophy. My point is, I see them winning after a disappointing middle of the season and making a run to the Super Bowl. It starts on Sunday as they punish the Bengals weak run D and advance to the next round with a 35-27 victory. By the way, the over 46, is EA's Lock of the Week.

There you have it, my picks and predictions. Humerous? A little bit. Entertaining? To say the least. Accurate? Most likely not.

I can only do so much with nothing coming in. Here's the email for those with questions/comments. ea20@yahoo.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

View Guestbook Sign Guestbook
Powered by iguest.net